Friday, January 7, 2011

Week 1: A Mommy Escape

Photobucket

Ahhh... a morning at Borders is true bliss.  Notice none of my New Year's Resolutions concern cutting back on sugar, losing weight, or spending less money on frivolous {yet delicious} overpriced mochas and magazines!  I sat and read my favorite magazines: Somerset Studio, Art Beads and Where Women Cook {a mag that will make you drool over some of these women's fabulous and so-cool-it's- not-even-fair kitchens} that had Ree Drummond, better know as The Pioneer Woman, featured on its front cover.  I actually bought three of these magazines because they were chock full of great ideas for jewelry and digital art.

I post this as my first photo of the year because it demonstrates some of my favorite things: reading materials, a sweet cup o' joe and some time to reflect on how to better my creative aspirations. Being creative helps me be the best person I can possibly be, even when it comes to being a mother to my son and a wife to my husband. Creation is an integral part of my soul; without it I can not function. To take raw materials and transform them into something beautiful is transcending... but sometimes my creative juices need a jump start! This is why, when I get a mommy afternoon out by myself, I love to stop and flip through some magazines at the bookstore {and I still have a Barnes & Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket from Christmas!} so I can grab some inspiration.

Also, I love, with a capital L, to read. Man do I love a good book... so I also walked out {after paying of course} with Madelyn Alt's new book, "Home for A Spell."  Seventh in her Bewitching Mystery Series {Mysteries with Hex Appeal mind you,} I haven't had a chance to begin reading it but it sits on my shelf waiting for me like an unwrapped present, a surprise in the form of a much anticipated book.  All of her covers are divine, and this one is no exception.  I had to take a picture.  When I'm a published author I'll sneak in and take pictures of my own books and post them in my blog but for now I must instead share in my friend's accomplishment by highlighting her book perched on the shelf in Borders:

Photobucket

If you're looking for a good new read, pop in a buy it~ I promise you won't regret it {but you may want to start at the beginning with "The Trouble with Magic!"}

My New Year's message for everyone is: be good to yourself- and remember, we are all born creative beings. We are mysteries and miracles in and of ourselves... don't ever say, "I'm not creative..." because you are. Happy New Year everyone!

4 comments:

  1. how wonderful!! So glad you are doing this, Jen! I'm already a fan and can't wait to see how this venture unfolds!
    Much love,
    Shanny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,

    Why am I not surprised that you've left my very first blog response?! Thank you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to tell you that I saw Madelyn Alt's book at Costco!

    ReplyDelete